Tuesday, September 25, 2007

In response to Katie's post about the lingering summer

If seasons were tangible, you would see me scratching to hold on to Summer for dear life, while Winter stalks up from the corner and drags me away by my flip flops.

This is the first year in my life when I will have to face a real winter. I've lived in Arkansas most of my life. I've experienced ice storms, but never a need for scarves and gloves and a coat and a hat November through April. It seems like Fall may be skipped over entirely! I'm upset. Seriously. I've visited wintry places, but only for wintry fun. It's become sort of a running joke at work. They're waiting for me to freak out and migrate home with the birds.

I am excited about soup for lunch and cute scarves. And I had a pumpkin latte a week ago when a strange early chill hit. But I have no winter clothes or shoes. Or socks for that matter. The wind is fierce and commuting will be tough. City life takes a whole different kind of toll on your body any time of year. All I feel like doing is hibernating. Perhaps I will take a lover and hole up in my apartment for LotR marathons.

1 comment:

katie j. said...

I will trade you: lingering summer for impending winter. Damn, do I wish we lived up north.