Monday, December 3, 2007

Dreamweaver I believe you can get me through the nii-iight

Like Katie, I too enjoy making lists. Here's a simple one that ran through my head this morning as the coffee buzz set in and I fully defrosted from the commute.

Dream Careers (other than current pursuit, no particular order)

Rock Star.
I really love to sing, despite the fact that it slightly horrifies me to do so on stage. Senior year of high school, the Homecoming Queen asked me to sing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" at the Homecoming assembly, in front of the entire population of McCrory. I obliged and did so with my eyes tightly shut the whole time, then hid backstage till it was safe to sneak back to where the band was sitting and vent my frustrations on a bass drum. There's a wholly different kind of soul bearing that goes along with singing compared to acting. I still dream though of somehow being discovered as the next Fiona or Blondie through no effort of my own. As a child I believed that the stereo speakers in the back window of the car were also microphones, which music industry execs installed. And I would sing towards the back of the car, believing they were listening and would someday swing by with a contract and a collaboration with Ace of Base.

Astronaut.
Though most girls haven't indulged in this fantasy, I imagine it is probably a common dream among youngsters. The unconquered, the undiscovered, the unimaginable. Astronauts are also the quintessential scientist rock stars. I missed out on Space Camp as a child and am still disappointed. For like fifteen seconds, I considered going to the Naval Academy to start my aeronautical career. When indulging in this fantasy, I leave out the fact that I have motion sickness.

Author.
Assigned to write a short story in 6th grade, I churned out a 35-page thriller handwritten on wide-ruled notebook paper. When we got our first computer, if I wasn't designing silly posters in Print Shop Deluxe, I was hammering out my story The Bellwitch, whose main character had black hair and purple eyes and wore a black miniskirt with a purple leotard. The climax of this story took place in a tornado.

Actress.
I've indulged in this one one too many times.

I know these seem like easy answers, but they're the absolute truth. Who really dreams of growing up to be an accountant anyway? Dreams shouldn't be practical. I'm sure you've got a few that you would like to share. I know we're all in creative fields, but one or two of my friends out there is bound to have dreamed of being a brain surgeon or something after mastering the game of Operation.

3 comments:

Tim Sisk said...

growing up in rural mississippi, i dreamed of being a country music singer. i used to ask my mother if she'd come see me sing on the grammys and we'd make lists of people to invite and places i could buy a house once i was rich.

i also wanted to be a hair dresser, a chef, and a journalist. briefly i considered fashion design until i realized i cannot draw and i am not fashionable.

i've always wanted to be a teacher, and i'm doing that now. it's pretty nice. i enjoy what i do. but, man, i think i could do some good hair. i should also have my own reality show.

JAM1962 said...

I love your dreams, child of mine. I have lived my dream- to be a good nurse and to be a mother (and I hope I was decent at that) of wonderful children who would grow up happy and creative.

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I am regular visitor of this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]Lots of good information here michelle-underwood.blogspot.com. Let me tell you one thing guys, some time we really forget to pay attention towards our health. Let me show you one truth. Research presents that about 50% of all U.S. adults are either obese or weighty[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Therefore if you're one of these individuals, you're not alone. Infact many among us need to lose 10 to 20 lbs once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now next question is how you can achive quick weight loss? [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss[/url] is really not as tough as you think. You need to improve some of you daily habbits to achive weight loss in short span of time.

About me: I am webmaster of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health trainer who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under hard training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for fast weight loss.