Friday, June 1, 2007

On the subject of employment and post-graduate life

I apologize for not answering any questions until now about my job hunt in Chicago. Thanks for all of your support though! I didn't want to say too much until I got my contract, and as things are progressing positively, I can now share some details with you guys.

I came to Chicago May 16th. I'm living with Douglas in Northcenter. I did the whole round of interviews for a week and got some interesting prospects. Then I was offered an opportunity at Euro RSCG's Chicago office. Euro RSCG is one of the biggest advertising agencies in the world. They won 2006 Global Agency of the Year. The program I am doing with them is a full time paid internship for the summer. At the end of the program, they hire interns as Art Directors. Throughout the program I will get to work directly with Creative Directors on real projects for real clients (like Sprint). The building is in downtown Chicago and there are ping pong tables. It is very colorful, befitting of a multi-million dollar creative agency. They also do a class once a week for the interns to learn more about the advertising business. I am so excited about this opportunity! My internship last summer was fantastic as well, but it was a small agency. Now I get the chance to try out the other side of the field. I have a feeling that it will be perfect for me, but at least I get the chance to try it on to see if it fits. Even if I don't work for Euro RSCG full time after this summer, I have another offer from a fantastic creative studio in Chicago or I can shop my new advertising talents around to some more of the big agencies downtown.

So I would say that I had a week well spent in Chicago. As soon as I got the job offer, I flew back to Arkansas just in time to make it to my cousin's wedding in Missouri. I got to spend a couple of days with my family as well before coming back to Chicago to work. But then I found out today that they are pushing the start date of the internship back one week. So I don't actually start work until June 12!!!!

What am I to do with another week? Well, I'm probably going to go to Vegas with my mom. Seriously, we just decided this. Crazy life. I'm going to go look at airfare now.

No comments: